A Brief Introduction to Changchun-Wolfsburg Cooperation and Exchanges
I. Economic and Trade Cooperation between Changchun and Germany
1. The two sides established a joint venture FAW-Volkswagen Automobile Co., Ltd. FAW-VW is a joint venture between FAW Group and Volkswagen Group which manufactures Audi and Volkswagen marque passenger cars for sale in China. FAW-VW, the first modern car manufacturing base in China that was started for construction in line with the scale of a sizable economy, was founded in Changchun City on February 6, 1991.
2. The partnership between the two sides promoted the development of auto parts sectors.
The founding of FAW-VW propelled the development of local auto parts sectors supplying directly or indirectly spare parts for VAW-VW. The partnership also attracted internationally renowned companies including ZF, HELLA and FAURECIA to Changchun and established joint ventures with local enterprises. The number of local enterprises providing spare parts for FAW-VW has so far reached 148.
3. The two sides held economic and trade talks in Germany.
(1) In April 2003, the delegation consisting of representatives of automobile industry of Changchun City organized a promotional conference in Leipzig. During the conference, the representatives of Changchun City had talks with over 40 German counterparts. The delegation also visited Wolfsburg and the headquarters of Volkswagen, and had economic and trade talks with the government of Wolfsburg.
(2) In April 2004, the delegation of Changchun City consisting of 23 members held the China Changchun Economic and Trade Conference in Hannover which attracted the participation of more than 60 German representatives. The discussion between the two sides attracted a batch of enterprises to Changchun City.
(3) In September 2004, the delegation of Changchun City held an economic and trade conference in Frankfurt to which auto and auto parts enterprises of Wolfsburg were invited. The conference laid a foundation for the development of auto parts sectors and modern finance services in Changchun City.
(4) In April 2013, the delegation of Changchun visited Wolfsburg. The representatives of the two sides held “Economic and Trade Talks for China-Germany Enterprises” during which the Mayor of Wolfsburg and senior executives of VW delivered speeches of congratulating the opening of the event. The two sides discussed the possibility of cooperating in new energy vehicle, smart equipment manufacturing, and modern manufacturing and processing.
II. Mutual Visits of Senior Leaders between Changchun and Wolfsburg
In April 2003, the mayor of Wolfsburg invited the 18-member delegation of Changchun City to visit the headquarters of VW. The delegation led by Deputy Mayor Zhang Anshun visited Volkswagen and Wolfsburg. The delegation discussed with the officials of Wolfsburg government the topics of strengthening economic and trade cooperation and inviting auto parts enterprises to invest in Changchun. The delegation also invited the mayor of Wolfsburg to lead a delegation to attend the Auto Expo to be held in Changchun City.
In July 2003, the delegation led by the mayor of Wolfsburg visited Changchun, attended the 3rd Auto Expo, and discussed with Changchun City the possibility of expanding cooperative relations in the field of automobile.
In November 2004, Mayor Zhu Yejing and Mayor Rolf Schnellecke held talks in Changchun, and signed the Memorandum of Understanding on Friendly Cooperation between Changchun China and Wolfsburg Germany. The two sides agreed to put more effort into promoting, organizing and holding various exhibitions and conferences and meanwhile seeking cooperation opportunities in the fields that interest the both sides, and maintain frequent contacts and set up online platforms.
On June 12, 2006, the 5-member delegation led by Mayor Zhu Yejing visited Wolfsburg. The agreement on establishing a sister city relationship between the two cities was signed.
From September 17 to 24, 2006, the delegation of Lower Saxony visited Changchun. The Economic and Trade Conference for China-German enterprise was organized. Li Shu, Director General of Changchun Municipal People’s Congress, met the delegation.
From October 11 to 13, 2006, the 7-member delegation of Changchun City (organizing by Changchun Council for the Promotion of International Trade, representatives of four enterprises included) visited Wolfsburg and attended the International Auto Parts Suppliers Expo. The delegation also visited the government of Wolfsburg, and mayor of Wolfsburg received the delegation.
In February 2009, the delegation led by Mayor Cui Jie visited Wolfsburg. The agreement on friendly exchanges from 2009 to 2010 between the two cities was signed by Mayor Cui Jie and Mayor Rolf Schnellecke.
In July 2010, the delegation led by Mayor Rolf Schnellecke visited Changchun. Mayor Rolf Schnellecke and Zhu Yejing, Director General of Changchun Municipal People’s Congress, planted a friendship tree and signed the agreement on exchanges and cooperation in 2011 with the mayor of Changchun City. In addition, delegation discussed the possibility of carrying out educational cooperation the No. 2 Experimental School of Changchun City, Changchun Vocational Institute of Technology and Jilin University - Lambton College.
In January 2011, the delegation led by Director General Zhu Yejing visited Wolfsburg. The two sides discussed the possibility of carrying out cooperation in auto and auto parts, and expanding educational cooperation and exchanges.
In October 2012, the delegation led by Mayor Klaus Mohrs visited Changchun. Deputy Mayor Xiao Wanmin met the delegation, and discussed with Mayor Klaus Mohrs the possibility of strengthening cooperation and exchanges in auto, auto parts and education.
In April 2013, the delegation of Changchun visited Wolfsburg. The representatives of the two sides held “Economic and Trade Talks for China-Germany Enterprises” during which the Mayor of Wolfsburg and senior executives of VW delivered speeches of congratulating the opening of the event. The two sides discussed the possibility of cooperating in new energy vehicle, smart equipment manufacturing, and modern manufacturing and processing.
In July 2014, the delegation led by Deputy Director General Wang Ning of Changchun Municipal People’s Congress attended the celebrative series organized for 75th anniversary for the founding of city Wolfsburg. On behalf of Changchun City, Deputy Director General Wang Ning presented high-speed train models to the city of Wolfsburg. The delegation had talks with the government of Wolfsburg on carrying out cooperation in such aspects as industrial information and agricultural modernization.
In November 2014, the delegation led by Mayor Klaus Mohrs visited Changchun. Executive Deputy Mayor Xiao Wanmin me the delegation. The two sides held talks on cooperation in industry, economy, trade and education.
In April 24, 2015, the delegation led by Deputy Director Wang Yi of the Publicity Department of the CPC Changchun Municipal Committee visited Wolfsburg. The delegation visited the headquarters of the official website of Wolfsburg. The two sides held pragmatic talks on editing of website columns, online media development, common sharing of information between the official websites of the two cities, and reached a consensus on pushing forward the connectivity in the field of internet.
In October 2015, the delegation led by Director General Liu Haiyu of Changchun Sports Bureau attended the half marathon competition held in Wolfsburg. The two sides discussed the possibility of strengthening cooperation and exchanges in marathon and youth football programs.
III. Honorary Citizenship
Changchun City presented honorary citizenship titles to eight German experts, including Carl H. Hahn, President of Volkswagen and Honorary Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Group brands Audi, and CEO Robert Vasquez of Volkswagen Group, who had made contributions to the socioeconomic development of Changchun City. In addition, a batch of German experts who made remarkable contributions to FAW-VW and Changchun City were rewarded at the National Day receptions.