It is a piece of fertile land where humans lived 40,000 years ago.
In 1951, mammal fossils and corresponding relics were unearthed in Yushu, Changchun City, proving hominins here were in the Late Old Stone Age, or in the early stage of a matriarchal society.
In 1984, a residential site of human settlement in early New Stone Age was found in Nong’an County, Changchun City. The excavation proved that the ancient humans here had entered the era of wearing clothes and thus mastered developed primitive farming and weaving technologies.
The earliest city that appeared in this region was called “Fuyu Realm”. From Donghan Dynasty to Xijin Dynasty, the nation of Fuyu ethnic group was subordinate to Central Plain. In 493, Fuyu Realm was toppled by the northern ethnic group Wuji. In 494, the king of Fuyu Realm was deported. He, together with his wife, went into exile in Koguryo, marking an end to the realm of Fuyu. Koguryo remained rich and powerful from Northern Wei Dynasty to its early stage, but was defeated by Tang Dynasty in 668.
From the first year (713) of Emperor Xuanzong’s reign of Tang Dynasty, Bohai Realm emerged, with the current territory of Changchun covered in it.
In Northern Song Dynasty, Huang Long Fu (now Nong’an County) was founded after the establishment of Liao Realm.
In late Northern Song Dynasty, Huang Long Fu was renamed Ji Zhou by Aguda, Chieftain of the Jurchens, in 1140.
The region enjoyed great prosperity in the dynasties of Liao and Jin. In 1234, the Mongols finished off the Jin Dynasty, and renamed the reign Yuan, making it a nomadic place for the Mongols.
In 1644, the reign of Qing Dynasty compiled the Mongols and Manchurians living in the region into the system of Eight Banners. Since then, the region was declared a protected area.
(Picture in the upper left corner: Pagoda of Liao Dynasty, built in the period from 983 to 1030, is located in Nong’an County, Changchun City, Jilin Province.)