Application Procedures for Chinese Government Scholarship
The Chinese Government Scholarship is established by the Ministry of Education of China (hereinafter referred to as MOEC) in accordance with educational exchange agreements or understandings reached between Chinese government and governments of other countries as well as international organizations to provide both full scholarships and partial scholarships to international students and scholars. The MOEC entrusts the China Scholarship Council (hereinafter referred to as CSC) to handle the enrollment of international students and carry out the routine management of Chinese Government Scholarship.
I. Categories of Enrollment and Duration of Scholarship
Remedial Chinese Language Courses are arranged before professional study. Where English can be directly applied for the major, Remedial Chinese Language Courses will not be arranged. The duration of scholarship is the period of study confirmed at the time of permission.
II. Application Procedures and Time
The applicants shall apply to Chinese diplomatic missions or the competent authorities in their home countries from the beginning of January to mid April.
III. Eligibility of Applicant
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
2. Education background and age limit for the applicant:
(1) Applicants for undergraduate programs must have senior high school diploma with good academic performance and be under the age of 25;
(2) Applicants for master degree programs must have bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35;
(3) Applicants for Doctoral degree programs must have master’s degree and be under the age of 40;
(4) Chinese language students must have senior high school diploma and be under the age of 35;
(5) General scholar candidates must have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies and be under the age of 45;
(6) Senior scholar candidates must have master’s degree or above, or hold academic titles of associate professor or above, and be under the age of 50.
IV. Contents and Standards of the Scholarship
(I) Full scholarship:
1. Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fee for basic learning materials and accommodation on campus;
2. Medical service at public expense as Chinese students;
3. Monthly allowance is provided at the following rates (RMB per month):
(1) Undergraduates: RMB800
(2) Chinese language students: RMB800 (RMB1,000 for students above sophomore or students with corresponding educational level as undergraduate)
(3) Master degree students and general scholars: RMB1,100
(4) Doctoral degree students and senior scholars: RMB1,400
4. One-off settlement subsidy upon arrival in China is provided according to the following standard:
a. RMB300 for students who will study in China for six months
b. RMB600 for students who will study in China for one year
2. Partial scholarship: One or some items of the full scholarship.
V. Application Materials
The applicants must fill in and provide the following materials truly and correctly:
1. The Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship(printed by CSC) in duplicate, filled in Chinese or in English.
2. Highest diploma (notarized). If applicants are university students or already employed, they shall also provide studying certificates or employment documents. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with translations in Chinese or English.
3. Applicants for undergraduate studies are required to provide notarized copy of senior high school transcripts. Applicants for other categories of studies also need to provide relevant notarized transcripts. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with translations in Chinese or English.
4. A study or research plan in Chinese or in English (no less than 200 words for undergraduates, no less than 400 words for scholars, and no less than 500 words for postgraduates).
5. Applicants for master or doctoral degree studies and senior scholars must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by professors or associate professors. Applicants who apply in China for master or doctoral degree studies must submit the Admission Notice issued by the targeted university.
6. Applicants for music programs are requested to submit one CD recording of the applicants’ own work. Applicants for fine arts programs must submit 6 color photos of the applicants’ own work (including two sketches, two color paintings and two other works).
7. Photocopy of Physical Examination Record for Foreigner (printed by the Chinese quarantine authority filled in English.
The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Physical Examination Record for Foreigner. Incomplete records or those without the seal on the perforation or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. The medical examination results are valid for 6 months. Please confirm the time when the medical examination is taken.
The above materials should reach the CSC by April 30, 2002via either the Chinese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s home country or the embassy of the applicant’s home country in China. Individual applications will not be accepted by the CSC.
VI. Choice of Institutions of Higher Education and Major
Applicants may choose one academic program and three institutions as personal preferences from the 88 Chinese higher education institutions designated by the MOEC. Please check the Directory of Chinese Higher Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Program & Academic Programs or the website ofCSC (http://www.csc.edu.cn/), and fill in the university and major in strict accordance with the list thereunder.
VII. Enrollment and Notification
CSCwill review all the application materials from the appointed authorities and CSC is authorized to make necessary adjustments on the applied institutions, academic programs and duration of study. The qualified applications will be forwarded to institutions with reference to their preferences and the final decision whether to admit the applicants or not will be made by them. If the applicant has contacted with and has been accepted by competent institution prior to application, the applicant is required to enclose relevant certificates to facilitate the CSC entrust admission to competent institution.
Where the conditions of the applicants do not satisfy the enrollment provisions or the application materials are incomplete, the applications will not be processed.
Scholarship applicants accepted by Chinese institutions of higher education will be officially awarded the Chinese Government Scholarship upon approval of the MOEC.
The CSC will send the List of Accepted Students, Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China (Statement JW201) to the relevant dispatching authorities by July 31, so as to have the documents forwarded to the students.
VIII. Contact way of the Department for Coming to China, Secretariat, China Scholarship Council